Dehydrating: take II

So did some more dehydrating last night. I bought another mango and pawpaw was on special so in the mix it goes. Ok, some lessons from last time. I believe that my fruit was too wet and thick so this time I cut them thinner and also dried them on a tea towel before putting them in the dehydrator. This worked much better and I have proper dried fruit now. I have no idea how long it’s going to keep for hopefully a while.
I also made my own muesli bars. Pretty easy really just some peanut butter, butter and some muesli; I used Hubbards Simply toasted muesli original; I picked out the dried fruit. I like the seeds in it but next time I could just make some of my own so then I can add whatever seeds I want to the bars. The bars are very yummy and I believe actually much cheaper than buying bars.
I made some more fruit rolls ups this time an apple and mixed spice one. This one turned out better than the last batch I think this is due to the fact that I only used half the recommended mixture. The manual says to use tinned fruit I’m not sure why this works but so far my rolls have worked out well. The middle of my roll ups didn’t dry properly but that’s ok as John ate this with his breakfast so no waste. At some stage I’ll try it with fresh fruit and see what happens.     
All recipes can be found in the manual on the sunbeam website

Update: I found putting the dehydrator on the highest setting on my machine meant that the fruit dried in a much shorter time as in 4 hours!!! I over dried it a tiny bit though so have to keep a better on eye it next time. Well worth turning the heat up as the dehydrator time went from 11 hours to 4! I believe the shorter time it is on outways the increase in power = cheaper food quicker!  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

4 thoughts on “Dehydrating: take II