Metal is an amazing plastic alternative and is fantastic at helping you reduce your waste. I always chose metal, wood, glass or cloth over plastic. Every time! Here are my metal alternatives often they are a buy once item that will last you years and years rather than replacing cheaper plastic items yearly that end up in the landfill. Reducing your waste is all about thinking about the the items you bring into your home and the long term rather than quick fix plastic items.
1. Stainless steel drink bottles – we carry our stainless ECOtankas with us everywhere this stops us buying drinks while we’re out and about. Stainless steel is an amazing alternative to plastic as it is made from around 60% recycled materials.
2. Buying food in tins – Buying in tins can be a fantastic easy way to make a wholesome meal in a short space of time. In my pantry I always have tinned tomatoes and several different types of beans. Though take care as some companies use BPA linings in the tins. Keep an eye out for companies that don’t line their cans and use these instead. Make sure you read the labels carefully when buying food in tins and avoid products with extra sugars and additives added to them.
3. I love my metal funnels they look good and work amazingly. I love that they hold their shape and I can put hot or cold items. They were a tad expensive to buy but I am so glad they they handle everything I throw at them and then I throw them in the dishwasher and they come out looking as good as new.
4. I have two young boys and so try to avoid plastic with them as well. I have some stainless and enamel cups for the boys to use rather than drinking out of plastic cups. I don’t have to worry about them taking the cups outside or breaking them.
5. Kids love straws and can make it much easier for them and you to drink your smoothies or homemade milkshakes. These stainless steel straws are fantastic and best of all you can pop one in your handbag as well for when you’re out and about. Just a warning watch your kids with these they are steel tubes so don’t let them walk with them.
6. Buying good quality metal touches can make life so much easier than trying to deal with cheap nasty easily broken touches. I keep them all over the house and in my car as you never know when you might need a touch.
7. One of the biggest throw away items in our society is electronics so next time you buy a computer get a metal one so that it can be recycled at the end of it’s life.
I love metal it is so versatile and has so many uses and best of all it can be used over and over again and then at the end of it’s life most metal is recyclable. Metal can cost a little more but it is so worth it and will last you years and years.
Check out my reduce your waste series;